Olathe Public Schools offers classes to help parents improve their parenting skills. "Becoming a Love and Logic Parent" is the title of the six-week course based on the Cline/Fay Institute philosophy of raising and teaching children. Sessions are held each fall at Countryside Elementary School, 15800 W. 124th Terrace, Olathe, Kan.
The Love and Logic philosophy allows parents to become happier, empowered and more skilled. It is a way of working with children that puts parents back in control, teaches children to be responsible and prepares young people to live in the real world where there are many choices and consequences.
Love and Logic is for parents who want to raise children who are self-confident and motivated. It promotes a win-win approach to parenting where children win because they learn to solve their own problems while gaining the confidence they need to meet life's challenges. Parents win because they learn to establish healthy control without resorting to nagging, threats or exhausting power struggles.
Love allows children to grow through their mistakes. Logic allows them to live with the consequences of their choices.
- Shared control: Gain control by giving away the control you don't need.
- Shared thinking and decision-making: Provide opportunities for the child to do the greatest amount of thinking and decision-making.
- Equal shares of consequences with empathy: An absence of anger causes a child to think and learn from his or her mistakes.
- Maintain the child's self-concept: Increased self-concept leads to improved behavior and improved achievement.
The fall courses each take place on six Thursdays from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Countryside Elementary School, 15800 W. 124th Terrace, Olathe, Kan. Cost is $20 per person/couple for the entire course. Call (913) 780-7051 to make reservations. Childcare is not provided for these classes.
- Oct. 25, Nov. 1, Nov. 8, Nov. 15, Nov. 29 and Dec. 6