Parents as Teachers
|Homemade Toys||Follow us on Facebook||Enrollment Form|
|Kansas City Star article about
Parents as Teachers
Being a parent means finding answers to questions. Long before their child asks "Why is the sky blue?" parents are faced with other issues such as "Is my child developing slower than his peers?" or "Does my baby actually learn when I play with her?"
Parents of children younger than 36 months old may find answers to many of their questions through the Parents as Teachers program in the Olathe Public Schools. The free program is personalized to meet the needs of individual families of babies and toddlers living within the Olathe Public Schools.
The Olathe program is part of the national Parents as Teachers program and follows its curriculum. All parent educators have a minimum of an undergraduate degree and experience in early childhood education. They also train in the national Parents as Teachers certification program.
- The winter/spring newsletter is available in PDF format.
- Summer playgroups will be held from 10-11 a.m. at North Lindenwood Support Center (315 N. Lindenwood) on the following dates: June 2, 3, 9, 11, 16, 17, 23, 24 and 30; July 1, 7, 8, 14, 15, 21 and 22.
- Personal visits by certified educators trained in child development help parents understand each stage of a child's growth and offer practical tips to encourage learning.
- Group connections (formerly group meetings) bring parents together to share common concerns and gain new insights.
- Screenings for overall development, language, hearing and vision help detect potential problems and prevent future difficulties in school.
NOTE: Please be aware that you are about to leave the Olathe Public Schools website. We do not necessarily endorse these third-party sites and are not responsible for their accuracy or current content.
- American Academy of Pediatricians ~ www.HealthyChildren.org
- City of Olathe newsletter ~ www.olatheks.org/news/OlatheLink
- InfantSEE ~ www.infantsee.org
- KanCare ~ www.kancare.ks.gov
- My Resource Connection, Johnson County, Kan. ~ ims.jocogov.org/rc/
- National Parents as Teachers ~ www.parentsasteachers.org
- Olathe Public Library for kids ~ www.olathelibrary.org/kids
- See to Learn ~ www.seetolearn.com
All of these instructions are in PDF format.
- Accordion Book
- A Cleaner, Greener House
- Bean Bags
- Clothespin Color Match
- File Folder Matching Game
- Grocery Store Fun
- Hammering Block
- Make a Puzzle
- Matching Lids and Jars
- Music Shakers
- Nesting Containers
- No Sew Fleece Cube
- Paper Bag Blocks
- Paper Bag Road Map
- Peek-a-Boo Baby
- Phone Book Step Up
- Pop Bottle Roller
- Pretend Groceries
- Recycled Crayons
- Roly-Poly Book
- Shaker Bottle
- Sock Can
- Straws and Holes Toy
- Surprise Box
- Tracking Toy
- Tummy Time Tent Board
- Ziploc Books